11.5.10

Relay for Life

So, I don't really know how to describe Relay. It was an absolutely amazing night. There were hundreds of people there, all fighting against cancer. I've known many people who've had cancer: my mom had it twice (she's been cancer free for about 10 years I think. yay!), my nephew, my grandma, my great-uncle, my great-grandpa, multiple young woman leaders, etc. It's an awful disease, which goes after anyone, not caring about age, situation in life, etc. And we have to fight against it.

That night, hundreds of people got together. We raised over $100,000. Wow!

The main part is the fact that for each team, one person on that team is walking around the field at any time, in remembrance of those who have had cancer. I walked from 12:30 to about 1.

The disappointing thing about the night is that it looked like rain, like a huge storm was coming. So about 1 am they told everyone to pack up, and basically everyone went home. Which was silly, because we were at a high school football field, and the committee had reserved the gym, and we could have just kept walking all night. Even worse, it didn't even end up raining!

There were a few of us (my sister, my brother-in-law, my brother) who stayed and walked until about 3 am, but then we were so tired we had to go home.

It was an amazing experience. I'm disappointed that we didn't go all night. But, we tried.

And we will always remember.

4 comments:

  1. Fun! I went with my wife last year and had a lot of fun. I got to take some fun pictures also. http://goo.gl/yTkN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took some pictures, I just don't know where they are exactly. Plus I'm sick, so I don't want to track them down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so neat! I went to a yardsale/fundraiser on Sat for this too! It was neat to feel like I was contributing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO cool. We just raised some money for my brother in law. It is so wonderful that people can work together like this. Really, the efforts of you and others are amazing in helping people with this disease!
    Gabrielle Valentine

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, leave a thought. It doesn't even have to make sense!