8.8.08

Breaking Dawn - my review

This book. It made me think. I had to read it twice before I could even come to any sort of opinion on it, and I kind of want to read it again before writing this, but I do want to write this, (mainly in reaction to this and this ) The first time I read it, I started a few minutes after midnight and ended about 5:30 am, with some breaks in the middle. I got to the end, looked at the clock, and fell asleep. The next day I definently wanted to talk to someone about it, but they were all still in the middle of it, so I had to wait. But now I have talked to people about it, and this is my play (or chapter) by play reaction: Book 1: I admit, I wasn't really planning on the wedding being in the third chapter of the book. Maybe I was expecting more planning or something. I had read the first chapter before, and had loved it. The wedding was a bit over done, but it was nice that Jacob showed up, and danced with Bella. The whole honeymoon things was expected, up until the fried chicken part (now remember, I work in a deli. I will never be able to cook fried chicken without thinking of this book). When I realized she was pregnent, and that she called Rosalie, I was almost in shock. Then, I turn the page and it's from Jacobs point of view. Strange... Book 2: At first I was really mad. Here was Bella, with all these emotions and thoughts of her baby, and we get it all from Jacobs point of view, with him wanting to kill Edward, then seeing how bad Bella is. And how Jacob still loves Bella, and how much more Edward loves her, to do anything to save her life. It's touching, really. I was shocked when Jacob broke off from the pack, but now that I've thought about it, it seems like it was going to happen sometime anyway. Jacobs too independent, and he was the one who really could break free and be his own Alpha. Of course, Seth coming was interesting, but when Leah joined his pack, I could sense something happening. It was around here that I took a break and drove home, and I was almost positive that Jacob was going to end up with Leah. It wouldn't be perfect, but they had so much in common, and could make it work. Of course, I wasn't prepared for the next twist in the story: Jacob imprinting of Reneseme. Book 3: I really liked how it backed up a few days, and showed how Bella felt during the birth and becoming a vampire. Her self control, hunting, it all seemed really out of place at first, but then I thought about it, and of course Bella would be different as a vampire. She's married, has a daughter, and now is undead. She would act different, but there was still a little bit of her in there. Not enough for my liking, but enough to do. At this point, I was surprised the book hadn't ended yet. Here were all of the lose ends, bound up tight, and I still had about 200 pages left. I was bewildered. And then, of course, Stephanie Meyer had to put that little stunt with Irina. I almost wish Bella had more time just playing around as a vampire before something drastic happened. Then, the Volturi are going to come, and Alice disapears, and there's going to be action again! Wow! Except I wonder if Stephanie was just dragging it out for the sake of dragging it out and making a longer book. I guess I can excuse it a little, since the Voluri had expressed interest in Edward and Alice and even Bella before, but this was just going to far in my mind. Meh. Oh well, I also hate the whole "everone who sees Reneseme is instantly in love with her". Yes, babies are charming. But come on! This was stupid. But all of that aside, it was kind of clever, how Alice left her note, etc. etc. Except for the part when Bella went into town and I was just thining "has she really changed that much in that little time?" I guess I'm happy that in the end there was no fighting. I don't like conflict, and there seemed promise that sometime in the future they might clash again and actually defeat the Volturi a bit. I guess I didn't like how the Volturi left, everyone huggs, and then it sort of ends. Meh. I want a real ending! (this is also what bugged me about the ending of Harry Potter 7). I don't like wussy endings. I want a nice, big finale. So, I guess I had more to rant about then I though I did. I do like the book (although I do still like Eclipse better). I just wish the ending was better, and didn't feel like Stephanie was just dragging on the book for the sake of dragging on the book. [/rant]

1 comment:

  1. hi ;) we're fans of twilight ;)
    www.twilight-story.blogspot.com
    this is our beginning ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, leave a thought. It doesn't even have to make sense!